Ten face charges in drug operation
Two doctors are among 10 people who were charged in connection with prescription fraud in Lehigh County on Friday.
The charges were the result of a joint investigation by the state Attorney General’s Bureau of Narcotics Investigation and Drug Control.
Three of the people were employed at health care facilities. Six of the other defendants were involved with a prescription drug ring that operated in the Allentown area between December 2016 and January. They include:
• A 41-year-old doctor at St. Luke’s was charged after he allegedly stole fentanyl from a patient’s room and injected himself with it at the hospital.
The doctor, Scott Keeney, of Lower Saucon Township, has been charged with felony prescription fraud and drug possession. He is no longer employed by St. Luke’s, according to the news release issued Friday.
• Police also charged a former employee of Good Shepherd Specialty Hospital in Bethlehem. Jennifer Quimby, 47, of Palmer Township, is accused of diverting patients’ medicines to herself. She faces charges of prescription fraud, forgery, possession of a controlled substance, deception, and falsifying reports.
• Kate Peters, 40, of Lynn Township, was accused of fraudulently acquiring 1,200 50-mg tablets of Tramadol over a two-month period. She got the drugs from veterinary clinics and said they were for her dog. Tramadol is an opioid painkiller.
• Faton Bilali, 39, a doctor from Allentown, was charged with prescription fraud, forgery, deception and possession of a controlled substance.
He allegedly wrote prescriptions for adderall, oxycodone and other narcotics for himself and his mother, who was not his patient.
• Six people were charged with a scheme to obtain Percocet between Dec. 9, 2016 and Jan. 13.
• Charles Way, 18, of Allentown, allegedly acquired a prescription pad from a pain management clinic where his mother was employed. Five other people allegedly filled the prescriptions at pharmacies in Allentown, obtaining 120 pills. Way himself obtained 220 pills.
Five others were charged: Leevon Riddick, 29; Jesus Alvalle, 19; Crystal Santos, 26; and Kayleen Rivera, 19, all of Allentown; and Keisha Foster, 20, of Whitehall.